Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Give me scallops any day... every day...

Seared Bay Scollop, Meyer Lemon Creme Fraiche, Lemon Caviar, Pickled Fennel, Baby Greens

The dish that I always initially gravitate towards is the scallop dish. For those of you who don't like scallop you must be eating at too many Chinese restaurants. For me a scallop must be well seasoned and seared. Don't give me sauteed frozen. I can spot a frozen one as soon as it hits the table I don't even need to cut into it. Sadly, not only Chinese restaurants that try to pull one over on you. I've been to reputable restaurants (most recently Commerce in the West Village) that have tried to pass frozen off as fresh. Once frozen and thawed the scallop will never sear properly all the moisture will be constantly leaching out. If your scallop is pale and rubbery throw it against the wall; it will bounce back.

1 comment:

  1. (in my bad italian accent)
    dees ees top chef, nawt top scallobp!

    ReplyDelete