Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Aloha! I'll Shoyu Chicken!

Its so cold and miserable in the city right now I thought it might be good to think warm thoughts so I thought of the time I went to Hawaii. My best friend in college grew up in Hawaii and he always made this dish for holiday potlucks.

Shoyu (Soy Sauce) Chicken

1 cup soy sauce
2 cups water
1.5 cup coke
2inch ginger
1 head garlic
1 lemon
3 stalks scallions
1T whole peppercorns
6 pieces chicken thighs or drums (skinless)

Cut ginger into large chunks and smash. Cut head of garlic in half . Cut lemons in half and squeeze juice and put skins in to the pot (or crock pot). Cut scallions into large chunks. Put everything in a pot and cook on a low simmer until the chicken is tender. Serve over rice or noodles. It is even better the next day.
Shoyu chicken over sesame noodles.
The Hawaiians probably eat this with nasty fermented Poi but you don't want to go near that stuff if you're from the mainland (I don't mean China).

No comments:

Post a Comment