Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Chasing Tail



Every fall everyone in my family would count the days until it was cold enough for my dad to make his hearty oxtail stew. I don't know where he learned to make it, but everyone in the family has tried to replicate it and it is never the same. I on the other hand, just make it better (my dad doesn't think so but what does he know). I also make it in a crock pot because I like to set it and forget it, though that is pretty hard because the delicious smell will fill the house.

Oxtail Stew

1.5 cups carrots
1 cup celery
1 lrg onion
4 plum tomatoes*
2 cloves garlic
1tsp herbs de Provence
1/4cup soy sauce
3lbs oxtail
3 med russet potatoes
14oz chicken stock
2 cups water (or enough to cover)

*you may take a short cut and use canned Italian plum tomatoes if you don't mind/like/can't taste the tin can in your stew

Dice the carrots, celery and onions very small. Blanche, peel and remove seeds from tomatoes (very important for texture) then dice.
Season the oxtail pieces with salt and pepper and roast in the oven at 450F until they are browned. Remove from pan and place in crock pot. Turn crock pot to high.
Using the pan and fat from your oxtail sweat down your onions, carrots and celery. Add your herbs and garlic (whole smashed). Add your diced tomatoes and 1/4c soy sauce then cook to reduce liquids. Add to crock pot.

Bring chicken stock, water and secret ingredient* 1/2c root beer to a boil and pour into crock pot. Add diced potatoes. Cook for 5 hrs until oxtails are tender. It is best to make this a day in advance to develop the flavors and so you can skim the fat off the top once it cools. If you are impatient like my family just use a ladle and skim the oil off the top once its ready.
Garnish with (lots of cilantro... just kidding) chili oil if you like it spicy.

*root beer can be left out and substituted with beer or water depending on if you like flavor OR not, and a tablespoon of sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Mm, I love oxtail, and I love stew. My grandpa used to make an awesome stew, and his secret ingredient was fish sauce. Root beer though? Maybe I'll try orange soda.. haha

    ReplyDelete