Saturday, November 28, 2009

First Thanksgiving


My family has never had a real Thanksgiving meal. We usually have a hodge podge of food. I usually try to inject a little bit of the traditional in with my mom's Chinese food. So we might be eating Chinese roast duck with bok choy, winter melon soup mixed in with some stuffing or mashed potatoes. That was my worst nightmare. I hate eating foods that don't belong together.

This year I decided I would cook a full fairly traditional Thanksgiving meal. It may not have been like the first Thanksgiving the Pilgrims had but its probably more like what they would have in gourmet magazine. No Chinese Food Allowed!


The turkey was brined for 2 days then rubbed with herb and spiced butter. Stuffed with carrots, onions, apple, lemon, sage, thyme, and rosemary.

( Never trust the pop up thermometer! you'll be eating dried out bird )

My favorite dish of the night (and every night) Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts

Green Bean Casserole

Corn with brown butter and Parmesan cheese, Roasted butternut squash with sage brown butter, Brussels Sprouts, Cornbread andouille sausage apple and chestnut stuffing. (not shown: mashed sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, turkey giblet gravy)

It was a lot of food and my family doesn't eat much so I'll be transforming the leftovers into many more meals. Next year we are eating Chinese food.

1 comment:

  1. Tonight I'll be living your nightmare. I'm bringing the traditional elements, but we'll have the Chinese dishes sprinkled throughout, and sushi to top it off!

    ReplyDelete