Saturday, August 8, 2009

Defonte's makes it good but I make it better



As I was lost in Brooklyn again. This time I was in Red Hook when I stumbled upon the original Defonte's. Famous for their Roast beef, Eggplant and Mozzarella Sandwich, so of course that's what I ordered. The sandwich was huge! Filled with really fresh tender thin sliced roast beef, slices of fried eggplant and fresh mozzarella. One of the sides of the crusty Italian bread was dipped in beef jus goodness. The beef was the best part. The eggplant was its usual greasy and soggy. The jus was good, just enough to moisten the bread without making it totally soggy like they like to do in other states.
(sorry photos taken with shitty blackberry camera above)
I could only eat half the sandwich and saved the other half for the next day. To freshen it up I toasted it in the oven till the bread was crisped up and the cheese was melted. To make it BETTER I put homemade Basil Pesto on side with the eggplant and Horseradish Hummus with a dash of Tabasco for heat on the meat side. If I had some banana peppers it would have been perfect.

Defonte's meat is worth stumbling upon or even making the trip out. They have a location in Manhattan now that I hear serves the same great quality meats. Maybe you can ask them to dress it up for you. If not just bring your own container of pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment