Monday, August 17, 2009

"Don't boil me alive!" cried the lobsters



Lobsters are cheap now. The shells are soft and they are getting ready to molt. I personally prefer cold water winter lobsters which have sweeter meat. But hey I'm Chinese and when lobsters are cheap we eat them. My brother got ours at a restaurant supply place for $3.99/lb. They are super small though, most barely broke a pound. The smaller/ younger they are the more often they molt from May through November.

The first two I put into boiling water to kill them and removed the cooked meat. It was sad watching them twitch as they were cooked alive. I wonder if they have a inaudible scream.
I removed the tail and claw meat. The shells and heads minus the guts went into a pot of water for stock.

The tail and claw meat were used for Lobster Rolls, with Fuji Apples and Tarragon.

We then each ate a steamed lobster with BUTTER!
All the shells then went into the stock for the Lobster Bisque, which I made a few days later. We got one more lobster just for the bisque, which was a super concentrated creamy lobster soup.
I love lobster but after all this I think I've had enough for a while.
Total Lobster Overkill.

2 comments: