Monday, June 29, 2009

Do I smell fish(y)?

There is nothing worse than the smell of bad fish. Its like the smell of Chinatown markets on hot summer days. Its like in the cartoons where the smells are so strong they look like waves of smoke wafting up.
A fresh fish on the other hand should have no smell or a light scent of the sea. Don't be afraid when buying fish to smell it. You might regret it if you don't when you get home and open your package from the Chinese market and get hit in the face by waves of vomit inducing odors. Get you barf bags ready.















When buying fish it is highly recommended to get your fish monger to clean and fillet it if that is the way you desire to serve it. If not you might find yourself covered in scales like I did while scaling gutting and cleaning these bronzinos. It brought having scaly skin to a another level.







Once I get the fillets I make sure to double check for scales and pin bones that I may have missed. Scales in the mouth are like chewing on little shards of plastic. Choking on a fish bone is a trip to the emergency room. But you can skip these steps if you are serving it to your worst enemy, that's what I would do.

If I were being Chinese I would say to chop off the heads and make a soup then gouge out the eyes and eat them along with the cheeks. Actually Chinese people can literally suck the flesh off of every bone on the carcass but I'm not my own worst enemy, yet.








Crispy Bronzino, French Lentils, Parsnip Puree, Sauce Vierge

No comments:

Post a Comment