Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Who you calling a cracker?


The most basic crackers are made with just water and flour but they can come in any form, from buttery to matzo like. These I like to call Whole Wheat Crisps just because they are thin, crisp and made with whole wheat flour. I know, I'm so cleaver.
So no one will probably make these because why go through all this trouble when you can just buy something at the store? Is it worth it? I of course can't just buy something and serve it to our guests because we wouldn't be who we are if we just bought it (Jesse made me do it). But the truth is that they aren't like any crackers I've had from a factory production line, they are more delicate and its worth the effort if you have the time (I know none of you are convinced). To make them so thin a pasta roller is essential.









Whole Wheat Crisps
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1.5 cups bread flour
1 cup water
1Tbsp salt
0.5 cups olive oil


In a mixer with bread hook combine all ingredients until dough pulls away from sides. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to rest at room temperature for 30min or longer. Cut dough into 6-8 pieces and keep wrapped. Roll once piece at a time through pasta roller until #7 setting flouring as needed to keep from sticking and tearing. Cut rolled out dough with a pastry cutter. They do shrink a little during baking. Line them up on parchment lined sheet trays.
Preheat oven to 325F. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt before baking until golden and crisp.
The dough can be re-rolled if needed. One recipe makes like 400 or more (which I did today).












We use these for Canape parties but I've been secretly having them with the hummus we made.


("Gazpacho": Tomato tartare, Cucumber gelee, Pickled fennel)




No comments:

Post a Comment