Thursday, June 11, 2009

Whoop..Whoop.. Whoopie Pies..

Suddenly I have been hearing/ reading/ seeing whoopie pies every where. Random little cafes have them, even Danny Meyer has them on the menu at Public Fare, his new concession stand in central park.
I have to confess that I have never tasted one before making them today. They are described as being not quite cake not quite cookie, sandwiching a creamy filling.

I found a recipe from the NY-times article on the whoopie pie craze and made it my own. I filled mine with a espresso and Kalua flavored buttercream. To me they are like eating Drake's Devil Dog cakes but with too much cake. The cake part is almost like a muffin top. Felt like eating them might give me muffin top (so I spit it out and threw it out).
I will try making them again before totally writing them off, with huge changes to the recipe of course. The cake needs to be thinned out and instead of only cocoa powder I will add some melted chocolate into the mix. A little ( or a lot) of chocolate always makes things better.

No comments:

Post a Comment