Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Red 'Eggs' and 'Ham' "

























Nothing is as it seems.
I love to do whimsical interpretations of classics.
Sometimes its just fun and experimentation, a culmination of ideas from myself and Jesse. Most of the time I don't even know where I am going when I create different elements of a dessert but there is always a "ureka" moment when it all comes together.
Today it came in the form of "breakfast". Eggs, french toast, potato hash, bacon and maple syrup.

The "red egg" is a rhubarb gelee with a raspberry "yolk". The yolk is made using a special process called spherification, which was developed by Ferran Adria at El Bulli. Once the skin is punctured the liquid inside will run out like a broken yolk. You can watch me making them at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzj1ar7S6B4
The "French Toast stick" is not made of bread at all but is custard "toasted" using a torch.
The "hash" is carmelized apples.
The "bacon" is not pork at all but a chocolate and vanilla cookie.
The maple syrup is an apple and Grand Marnier caramel.
Well if you don't like green eggs and ham maybe you might like red eggs instead.


3 comments:

  1. love it! I was staring at that "bacon" for a while trying to figure out what it was..

    ReplyDelete