Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Flavor up that Butt!


People are crazy about Momofuku Saam bar whole pork butt.  Since I don't like to pay that much money for some thing that only costs $0.79 a lbs I'm making my own.  I don't know how they do theirs but this is how i'm doing mine.  
I got a 10lb bone in shoulder for $8 and brining it before I roast/braise it.  

Pork Butt (aka shoulder) Brine
2qt water
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar
1.25 cup soy sauce
10 cloves garlic
small nub of ginger
1 bunch scallion green ( save the white part for garnish)
1Tbls crushed red pepper
2Tbls whole black pepper corns
bunch of cilantro stems (save leaves for garnish)
1Tbls star anise

Bring all of this to a boil then cool completely
add
1 can of beer (if available or if you don't drink it all)
1 cup apple juice

cover pork with brine mixture overnight


1 comment:

  1. Yum.. tell us how it turns out! I'd love to do this in addition to turkey for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete